Can Dogs Eat Ferrero Rocher?

correct answerThe Short Answer is:

The dark chocolate Ferrero Rochers are dangerous for dogs because they contain chocolate, which is toxic to them. It’s not alarming if the dog eats one small treat, but if he polishes off a whole box, watch out for symptoms of chocolate toxicity and get him to the veterinarian.

In this article, you will know the answer to the query “Can Dogs Eat Ferrero Rocher?“.

There’s no denying that Ferrero Rocher is one of the world’s best cookies, and for good reason.

Ferrero Rochers are sold around the world every year in the amount of around 3.6 billion pieces!

Even though you are allowed to eat Nutella-filled treats, are dogs allowed to eat Ferrero Rocher?

That’s not exactly true, because dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate.

---Sponsored Links---

You shouldn’t worry about that piece of Ferrero Rocher your dog managed to steal harming him.

The purpose of this article is to explain why and how much chocolate is toxic for your pets based on its ingredients.

What are the ingredients in a Ferrero Rocher?

The cookies are what people love most about Ferrero Rocher, even though it is also available on tablets. Ferrero Rocher calls them ‘The Golden Experience’.

The average Ferrero Rocher weighs 12.5 grams and contains 73 calories, which is a lot for such a quick snack. 

The manufacturer lists the following ingredients: milk chocolate (30%), hazelnuts (28.5%), sugar, palm oil, wheat flour, lecithins, sodium bicarbonate, salt, and vanillin.  

---Sponsored Links---

Ferrero Rondnoir is a relatively new addition to the family and contains 40% dark chocolate. 

Ferrero Rocher is primarily known for its chocolate. It wouldn’t cause any problems for dogs to eat sugar, but it’s not very healthy for them. Neither would hazelnuts, which dogs can eat as long as they are not salted.

According to a classical Ferrero Rocher, 30% chocolate contains 3.75g of milk chocolate. Does your dog react differently to this?

Why is chocolate toxic for dogs? 

Dogs should not consume chocolate because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. There are many similarities between theobromine and caffeine, and it is the main villain in chocolate.

The two chemicals act as a heart stimulant, a blood vessel dilator, and a smooth muscle relaxant. Both caffeine and theobromine are not metabolized by dogs like they are by humans. As a result, they are more susceptible to side effects. Ingesting more chocolate increases the chances of chocolate poisoning in dogs.

---Sponsored Links---

How much chocolate is toxic to dogs?

 Additionally, it depends on the dog’s weight. Large German Shepherds won’t experience any side effects at all, but small ones may get a bit of a stomach ache. You can use this online calculator to figure out whether you should call the vet right away or wait it out if you’ve caught your pet eating your favorite chocolate and aren’t sure if he’s in danger.

Can a Ferrero Rocher cause chocolate poisoning in a dog?

There is no need to worry. The toxic compounds in chocolate would need to be consumed in large quantities for a dog to be exposed.

What type of chocolate is more dangerous to dogs?

Let’s explore the dangers posed by the different types of chocolate you might have in your house. 

Baking chocolate

In the case of a 10-pound dog, as little as 0.5 ounces of baking chocolate may warrant a visit to the veterinarian. If a 30-pound dog eats one ounce of baking chocolate, symptoms of chocolate toxicity will appear after 1.5 ounces. Baking chocolate includes Callebaut, Ghirardelli, Guittard, Lindt, Menier, Scharffen Berger, and Valrhona.

Milk chocolate

A dog would be less at risk from this. It would take 10 pounds of dog to consume 3.5 oz (more than 2 regular Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars) to be at risk. In a 20-pound dog, 7 ounces is the dangerous amount, whereas a 30-pound one might eat up to 10.5 ounces and still be fine, except for some diarrhea. In addition to Ferrero Rocher, other popular chocolates fall into this category such as M&M’s, Hershey’s, Mars, Kit Kat, Dove, Cadbury, Toblerone, and Kinder chocolate.

---Sponsored Links---

Dark chocolate

It might be healthier for you to eat dark chocolate, but keep it away from your four-legged friend. A ten-pound dog can be poisoned with 1.5 ounces, a twenty-pound dog with 3 ounces, and a thirty-pound dog with 4.5 ounces. If you believe your pet ate more than that, you should speak to your veterinarian.

White chocolate

It could be described as dog-friendly chocolate. White chocolate contains so few toxic compounds that it is nearly impossible to poison a dog with it. White chocolate poisoning would take 47 pounds of white chocolate for a 10-pound dog, 95 pounds for a 20-pound dog, and 145 pounds for a 30-pound dog. 

It doesn’t mean you should let your pet stuff himself silly with white chocolate. He will not die from the dangerous chemicals mentioned above, but he will become sick from sugar and fat. 

Can a dog eat Raffaello?

The white Ferrero delicacy, Raffaello, is safe for dogs since it does not contain chocolate. Its unique taste comes from 25.5% desiccated coconut and 8% almonds. As long as coconut is consumed in moderation, it is healthy for dogs. Nevertheless. You need to watch out for too much sugar in the diet of your pet.

What are the symptoms of chocolate toxicity?

When you’re not paying attention, the dog may raid your secret stash and eat some chocolate. Even if you don’t know how much chocolate your dog ate, you should know how to recognize poisoning signs

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst
  • Panting
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Elevated heartbeat.
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizure
  • Heart Failure

As a result of all the vomiting, dogs can develop complications such as aspiration pneumonia. 

If your dog seems fine after the kitchen raid, keep him under observation even if the symptoms of chocolate poisoning won’t surface for a few hours.

What to do if the dog has chocolate poisoning?

Going to the vet would be the obvious choice, but if you can’t reach your doctor right away, you can give your dog activated charcoal, which blocks the ingestion of theobromine. 

While it might be risky to try to make the dog vomit on your own, you can use a turkey baster to squirt hydrogen peroxide into his mouth, 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds of body weight. 


Despite the fact that one Ferrero Rocher will not harm your dog, you should avoid giving him such treats as there is always the risk he will discover where the cookies are hidden.

---Sponsored Links---

The dark chocolate Ferrero Rochers are dangerous for dogs because they contain chocolate, which is toxic to them.

It’s not alarming if the dog eats one small treat, but if he polishes off a whole box, watch out for symptoms of chocolate toxicity and get him to the veterinarian.

If you want to read more about dog food tips, read here: Dog Food Tips and Tricks.

Can Dogs Eat Ferrero Rocher? (Watch Video)

Leave a Comment