In this article, you will know the answer to the query “My Dog Ate Grapes But Seems Fine“.
It is common knowledge that dogs eat almost anything you give them.
Therefore, it isn’t surprising that they will eat grapes if you give them some. This does not mean, however, that you should feed your dog grapes.
Grapes are classified as highly poisonous to dogs and can cause incredibly serious side effects (including death) even if your dog has eaten them in the past with seemingly no ill effects.
Despite the fact that your dog has eaten grapes in the past, you should never feed him grapes again. You will find out why you should not give your dog grapes in this article, as well as some beneficial alternatives!
How Toxic Are Grapes Or Raisins For Dogs?
Grapes, raisins, and currants have been associated with renal (kidney) failure in dogs, according to the Merck Manual.
All of these plants belong to the Vitis genus.
As few as four or five grapes can kill a man weighing 18 pounds, although their exact toxicity is unknown. According to their studies, grapes can also kill dogs.
Veterinarians have not been able to identify the toxins in grapes and raisins.
This means that they still do not know what causes grape poisoning in dogs or why it affects some dogs but not others.
Are Grapes Toxic To All Dogs?
Although the above suggests that grapes are technically poisonous to all dogs, there are actually some dogs who can eat grapes without becoming ill or experiencing kidney failure.
Vets are even more confused by this phenomenon since some dogs can eat grapes without showing any symptoms whatsoever!
Nevertheless, you should never take a chance.
In spite of your dog eating grapes before and being fine, now that you know grapes are potentially toxic, you should not give your dog any grapes.
It is never certain how they will react when you feed them grapes the next time.
As their caregiver, it’s your responsibility to make sure your dog doesn’t eat anything that could harm him.
How Do Grapes Poison A Dog’s Body?
There are a number of ways that grapes can poison your dog’s body.
A dog’s renal failure usually begins after eating a raisin or grape within 72 hours. When the kidneys fail, the body loses the ability to filter waste.
Neither the kidneys nor the body’s chemicals can be kept in balance when the kidneys no longer remove waste from the blood.
The blood pressure of a dog rapidly increases when its kidneys cease to function.
In this case, your dog may eventually go into a coma due to a large build-up of chemicals and substances that his kidneys can no longer process or eliminate.
It is possible for a dog to die after this.
If your dog survives or seems fine after eating grapes, he will probably be affected for the rest of his life by kidney disease.
If you continue to give your pooch grapes, even if they are eating them now and seem fine, you could make them more likely to develop health issues in the future.
What Are The Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning?
Grape poisoning can cause your pup to suffer a number of uncomfortable symptoms along with kidney failure.
The symptoms include decreased appetite, weakness, and tenderness in the abdomen.
One of the most obvious symptoms of dehydration is either an increased amount of urine passing or no urine passing at all.
It may take time for them to become apparent, and they may go unnoticed for quite some time.
You should not ignore your dog’s pain, even if they seem fine.
It is evident that the above symptoms are related to kidney failure and indicate that your dog’s organs aren’t functioning normally.
Another two common symptoms that could be attributed to other issues are vomiting and diarrhea.
How Quickly Do The Effects Of Poisoning Take To Kick In?
Grape poisoning usually manifests itself within 24 hours after consumption. However, it can take up to 72 hours before symptoms appear.
In the event that your dog displays any of the symptoms of grape poisoning, it’s best to take them to the vet as soon as possible.
Your dog will have the best chances of surviving if medical treatment is received early.
A good starting point would be to call your vet and ask what they recommend. They will probably recommend that you bring them into the clinic.
You will have to monitor your dog’s behavior over the next 24 hours if your dog does not show any signs of poisoning.
The symptoms usually start to appear within this timeframe.
You should be happy that your dog hasn’t shown any negative symptoms.
This should serve as a warning for you not to feed your dog grapes in the future or keep them out of their reach if they ingested one accidentally.
How Will A Vet Treat Grape Poisoning?
Although your dog appears to be doing fine now, it’s vital that you know what would happen if he were to become poisoned by grapes.
A veterinarian will likely recommend a variety of treatments for your dog after you take him to the vet.
Depending on how severely the toxicity has affected your dog, it may require intensive treatment.
In order to determine whether your pet was poisoned by grapes or not, your veterinarian will run some tests.
As a second option, your vet may give your dog activated charcoal, which will help absorb the contents of its stomach, including the grapes.
The veterinarian will usually try to induce vomiting in your dog to remove as much toxic content from his system as possible.
Alternatively, your vet could give your dog diuresis treatment over 48 hours to flush the system.
The veterinarian will give your dog some medication to stabilize the kidneys if the kidneys are failing or appear to be about to fail.
It may also be necessary to undergo IV therapy. While your vet performs this therapy, your dog will be monitored for health issues.
If your dog is in extreme pain and there is no hope of treatment working, euthanasia may be the only option.
So, if you want to avoid any of these hassles in the future, don’t give grapes to your dog ever again.
If My Dog Ate Grapes And Was Fine, Should He Continue To Eat Grapes?
Just because your dog hasn’t had a negative reaction to grapes in the past doesn’t guarantee that they won’t have one in the future.
Long-term ingestion of grapes may also cause long-term kidney issues, requiring vet check-ups and treatments.
What’s the point in taking the risk?
Alternatively, you can give your dog plenty of other tasty treats that are not toxic.
Fruits like bananas, apples, and watermelons fall into this category.
Additionally, carrots, broccoli, and spinach are dog-safe vegetables that the ASPCA has approved!
Your pup will love these because they are packed full of nutrients and vitamins.
There are many healthy alternatives out there to grapes, so there is no reason to feed your dog grapes.
A quick google search will provide all the information you need about food safety.
What Other Fruits Are Poisonous To Dogs?
Unlike the safe products listed previously, there are several other foods that are poisonous for dogs.
Any one of these could cause your dog serious illness and in the worst cases, even death.
The common homegrown fruit rhubarb is toxic for dogs, causing damage to their nervous systems, kidneys, and digestive systems.
Ingestion of rhubarb in dogs is associated with tremors, seizures, and heart problems.
Tobacco that is not ripe is another example.
Ripe tomatoes are probably okay for your dog to eat, but unripe tomatoes and the tomato plant itself are likely to be harmful.
Furthermore, this can lead to digestive issues, kidney problems, and damage to the nervous system.
It is caused by the toxin Solanine, which is found in the plants’ green parts. Tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea are common symptoms.
You may want to keep your dog away from either of these plants in your garden or better yet, fence them in.
There are a lot of fruits that can harm your dog, but these are just two of them. Before you give your dog a new food, you should always do your research.
By doing this, the likelihood of them becoming ill or poisoned is reduced. It’s as easy as doing a quick search on Google.
Can You Treat Grape Poisoning At Home?
Your veterinarian may suggest that you induce vomiting for your dog after you have consulted them.
This should not be done if your dog is in distress or already having breathing problems. Things could only get worse if this is done.
In most cases, your vet will only advise you to induce vomiting in very limited circumstances, so you should not do it unless you have first been advised by your vet.
This can only be accomplished safely and effectively by administering a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Your dog should receive only 0.5-1 ml of hydrogen peroxide per pound of body weight.
Inducing vomiting with your fingers, mustard, or salt can make your dog feel worse. Veterinarians don’t recommend doing these things.
In summary, as we have learned throughout this article, you should never give your dog grapes, raisins, or currants.
They are likely to cause your dog a great deal of pain and discomfort, which is easily avoidable.
Even though some dogs are lucky and survive this toxicity, unfortunately, many others do not.
Therefore, if you think your dog has eaten grapes or other toxic food, you should take immediate action.
You should keep them out of your dog’s reach to prevent him from being poisoned by them, and you should be cautious when giving your dog new foods without first researching their toxicity.
The safety and comfort of your dog should always be your priority as their owner.
Never intentionally harm your dog or put their lives in danger.
The best friend a man can have is a dog. As such, they should be treated with respect.
If you want to read more about dog food tips, read here: Dog Food Tips and Tricks.