The purpose of this article is to explain “Help! My Dog Ate a 5mg Edible“.
- What is an edible?
- What happens if a dog eats a THC cookie?
- How powerful is 5 mg of edible?
- What effect does marijuana have on dogs?
- How quickly does it take to work?
- Does the size of my dog have an impact?
- Is there anything that I can do to help at home?
- How will a vet treat my dog with marijuana poisoning?
- Help! My Dog Ate a 5mg Edible (Watch Video)
Did you see the video of the dog that ate not one, but several edibles from the trash can? Video of the poor dog going viral quickly. Yes, you can clearly see he is completely stoned. This video appears to be quite funny to a lot of viewers, which is quite disturbing.
In this case, the owner may have been to blame, but there have been reports of dogs eating marijuana-laced products while out for a walk, which is downright troubling.
In this article, you will learn what effects such edible products have on dogs and what you can do if your pet is poisoned by marijuana.
What is an edible?
Cookies, brownies, gummy bears, as well as lozenges and lollipops infused with cannabis, are commonly called edibles, and they are becoming increasingly popular. Whether such a treat is dangerous to your dog depends on what it actually contains.
There are approximately 65 cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, but tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are among the most important. The main difference is that THC is psychoactive (it makes you high), whereas CBD does not.
It is important to know exactly what the dog ate prior to fleeing into a panic because edibles can contain either one or both of them.
The dog won’t get high from a CBD cookie. Dog owners often use CBD products to treat their dogs who suffer from anxiety, seizures, or age-related pains and aches.
The only danger to the dog is the possibility of side effects from sugar or chocolate in the cookie or brownie.
It is likely that your dog will vomit and have diarrhea for the next 24 hours if he ate a box of CBD cookies.
What happens if a dog eats a THC cookie?
As a result of legalizing marijuana consumption for recreational purposes, marijuana poisoning in dogs has skyrocketed in those countries. The number of such cases in the US has increased dramatically by 448% over the past few years.
THC-laced edibles are popular because they can be consumed anywhere, even at work, and are a more discreet and socially acceptable way to get high than smoking a joint!
How powerful is 5 mg of edible?
It is important to know how strong that edible was if you ever find yourself in such a situation. When your pet eats something that someone totally irresponsible just thrown by the side of the street, it’s impossible to tell whether it’s your stash or not.
Newbies, those just getting started with marijuana edibles, are usually advised to start slowly and increase their consumption gradually. An edible with 5 mg of THC is considered a low dosage. An edible brownie with 5 mg of THC will induce a pleasant feeling without making you stoned. You shouldn’t do that, at least if you’re an adult.
What effect does marijuana have on dogs?
You might want to watch the video mentioned at the beginning of this article if you haven’t already. Dogs will also get high on marijuana, no matter how it is presented. If you notice your dog’s eyes are glassy and his face is out of this world, he is probably in serious trouble. However, eating edibles can cause a number of other symptoms as well. Some of the most common ones include:
- Dilated pupils
- Lack of motor coordination – the dog can barely walk or struggles to stay upright
- Loss of control over bowel movements
- Abnormal behavior – barking, whining, crying
- Hypothermia – uncontrollable shivering
How quickly does it take to work?
Don’t expect your dog to show symptoms right away if he ate something edible. As opposed to smoking pot or taking sublingual THC, such as lozenges, edibles take longer to produce their effects.
It takes the dog a few minutes to digest the brownie or cookie for the active ingredients to get into his bloodstream. How long it takes depends on how much you give and the size of your dog. In some dogs, the first signs of a woozy state may appear in less than 10 minutes, while in others it may take more than an hour.
THC blood levels peak in humans after about three hours, but there aren’t enough studies on the effects of cannabis on animals to be able to predict exactly when your dog will get fully stoned.
Anyhow, the effects should wear off completely within the next 12 hours, but you should monitor your dog for at least 24 hours after being high on THC edibles.
Does the size of my dog have an impact?
It is obvious that a large German Shepherd will experience things differently than a small Chihuahua. Smaller dogs are more likely to be struck harder. Having a small dog, however, shouldn’t cause you too much concern.
When marijuana poisoning occurs, the effects can be quite severe, but the chances of death or permanent damage are quite rare.
Dogs can tolerate a high dose of THC according to several studies.
According to a 2014 study published in the Journal of Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 223 dogs consumed THC edibles ranging from 84.7 mg/kg to 26.8 g/kg. None of them died. A total of 26.8 g/kg is a heavy dose, and the dog probably needed serious medical attention, but if a dog can survive that, surely one 5 mg edible won’t harm your pet.
Is there anything that I can do to help at home?
A pet owner is powerless to help a dog that has eaten one or more edibles. Most likely, your first impulse would be to make the dog vomit, but in this situation, it’s a bit tricky.
If you saw the dog eating the THC brownie, you could force him to vomit immediately. It is not by sticking a finger up his throat as some belief, but by giving him hydrogen peroxide.
When you come home to discover your stash of THC goodies has disappeared, it’s hard to tell if the dog ate them and if he’s experiencing any side effects from them. It is not a good idea to make your dog throw up when he is barely aware of his surroundings. It is possible for him to choke on his own vomit and he could end up with aspiration pneumonia if the contents of his stomach make their way into his lungs.
If the dog does not seem to be in very bad shape, you can wait for the effects to wear off and make the poor thing as comfortable as you can.
To minimize the effects of the drug, the dog needs to drink plenty of water. In the event that the dog refuses to drink, try making him lick some water off your fingers or squirting very small amounts into his mouth with a turkey baster or plastic syringe without a needle.
Providing him with something to eat also helps, but something he won’t choke on. Try plain boiled rice, which might also help calm him down.
When a dog is stoned, he is likely to pee himself and your carpet, so cover the floor in plastic or put some special dog pads down. You can also cover the carpet in rags that can be put away afterward.
Since your dog is walking like a drunk person and might also experience muscle twitching, be sure he won’t hurt himself.
As a side effect of marijuana, the dog’s senses are sharpened, which may be frightening to him. Keep the lights dim and, if possible, take him to a room far from the street so he is kept away from loud noises and other dogs barking, as his reactions may be unpredictable.
How will a vet treat my dog with marijuana poisoning?
To be on the safe side, you should take your dog to the vet if you’re unsure how much marijuana they’ve consumed, or if they seem distressed.
Your veterinarian needs to know exactly what happened. People often lie when confronted with this situation because they fear being reported to the police if their house contained illegal substances. In any case, make sure the vet has a clear idea of what the dog ate so that he can make the best decision about how to treat him.
During your visit to the vet immediately after the accidental poisoning, your vet may try to make your dog vomit. It’s true that we warned you not to do this yourself, but this is a controlled environment with a doctor overseeing it.
In addition to giving the dog activated charcoal to clean its stomach, the vet might try other remedies. This is something you can do at home as well. The recommended dosage for dogs is 5 grams (about half a tablespoon) per 10 pounds, but if you go over that it won’t hurt.
If the dog is suffering from severe symptoms, he might put him on an IV and pump fluids into his body. If the symptoms are severe, the vet might suggest keeping the dog overnight for observation. The cost of an overnight stay might be up to $1,000, in addition to the IV and possibly some tests.
Meanwhile, the dog will make a full recovery and you’ll learn how to take better care of your stash. Since your cookies were left on the counter, you can’t really blame the dog for eating them, so make sure you keep them in an unreachable, closed cupboard.
It is possible for a dog to experience a pleasant high when eating an edible, but it might also experience some scary side effects. It is not likely that a 5-mg edible will harm your dog, but you should keep him under close observation for the next 12 to 24 hours. Just in case, try giving the dog small amounts of water and putting him on a bland diet. Take your dog to the vet if you are concerned that he is in poor health. The vet might give him an IV to flush the drug out of his system, but there is no miracle cure or antidote for marijuana poisoning.
If you want to read more about dog health tips, read here: Dog Health Tips and Tricks.