Dogs Food

Help! My Dog Ate Grape Jelly

- - - sponsored links - - -

The purpose of this article is to explain “Help! My Dog Ate Grape Jelly“.

Do you have a thieving dog?

Are you a sneaky raider of kitchen work surfaces looking for items that have been left there?

I used to have a dog that would put her paws on the kitchen counter and lick the sugar bowl!

We learned to completely clear any work surface of food items after this incident, but it never seemed to do her much harm.

- - - sponsored links - - -

However, I am going to focus today’s post on grape jelly.

Does your dog suffer any harm if it eats any? What should you do if it accidentally eats any?

Let’s have a quick look at this. 

What is grape jelly?

Jelly made of grapes is a sweet preserve that is made by boiling, mashing, and then straining grapes before adding lots of sugar to the mix.

Grape jelly is usually spread over toast.

- - - sponsored links - - -

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it is the second most popular preserve behind maple syrup

It’s strawberry season. 

Since 2011, roughly 120 million Americans consume it every year. 

What are the main ingredients?

Smucker’s and Welch’s are two of the biggest brands in the United States.

Almost all of their ingredients are the same.

Six ingredients make up their jelly:

Citric acid, sodium citrate, fruit pectin, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and Concord grapes.

Generally, these jellies are at least 55% sugar, which is something your dog shouldn’t consume too much of.

We don’t know, however, how many grapes go into each jar of jelly. 

Therefore, let’s look at each ingredient individually to see if there are any that are especially harmful to dogs.

- - - sponsored links - - -

Are grapes poisonous to dogs?

Wow! As unequivocal as this answer is, I do not find it very often.

A dog’s kidneys can fail and even die from eating grapes or raisins.

  • What human food can French Bulldogs eat?

The reason grapes are poisonous is still largely unknown. 

Toxic substances have yet to be identified by scientists.

Additionally, they don’t know how many grapes it takes to kill a vine.

Furthermore, the symptoms are vague as well.

Diarrhea, vomiting, and dehydration are some of these symptoms.

Immediately contact your vet if your dog eats some grapes. 

Corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup is safe for dogs to eat?

In grape jelly, both high fructose corn syrup and standard corn syrup are present.

- - - sponsored links - - -

Both corn syrups are derived from corn starch, but standard corn syrup contains glucose, while high fructose corn syrup contains fructose.

Sugars include glucose and fructose. 

The liver processes fructose, whereas glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream. 

Both of these sugars are not toxic to dogs, but depending on how much grape jelly your dog consumed, he may experience some nasty side effects such as diarrhea. 

Can dogs eat pectin?

Vegetables and fruits contain naturally occurring starch called pectin. 

Each vegetable and fruit has its own unique shape due to this natural “thickener”.

This is the ingredient that makes jams and jellies semi-solid. 

Dogs cannot be poisoned by pectin.

As a matter of fact, it is sometimes used to treat diarrhea in dogs and other animals.

The fact that it thickens shouldn’t come as a surprise considering what we have learned about it. 

Can dogs eat citric acid?

Citrus fruits contain citric acid as well as grape jelly.

Although grape jelly contains a small amount of citric acid, it will not harm your dog beyond a bad stomach upset. 

Can dogs eat sodium citrate?

Dogs aren’t toxic to sodium citrate, a salt that is related to citric acid.

Are there any safe alternatives to grape jelly?

You might be considering safer alternatives to grape jelly at this point, right?

All other fruit jellies or jams will be safe for dogs because fruits are generally toxic to them.

Dogs are highly toxic to cherry pits and leaves, so you might want to avoid cherry jelly.

Regardless of whether they contain fruit or not, all jelly is high in sugar.

Peanut butter can be another option, but you need to make sure that it doesn’t contain xylitol, which can be poisonous to dogs.

Honey, what’s the story? Despite the fact that honey is a natural product, it is packed full of sugar, making it unsafe for dogs in small amounts…

It is still better to give your dog honey than jelly as an accidental snack.

- - - sponsored links - - -

How to stop a dog from eating grape jelly?

Stop feeding your dog little bits of grape jelly every now and then is the best way to keep them from eating grape jelly.

You should also make sure it is not left out on a work surface.

Although it is easier said than done because no matter how organized and tidy we try to be, there will always be the odd time when we leave the kitchen in a mess!

Conclusion

When considering all the active ingredients in grape jelly, it becomes apparent that the main cause for concern is the grapes, which are highly toxic to dogs. 

Due to their toxicity, it is best not to wait around for symptoms to appear while you watch your dog.

Possibly, their kidneys will have shut down by the time they begin to show symptoms. 

Therefore, you should either call your veterinarian as soon as possible or dial the pet poison helpline (which will cost you $59 per call).

If you want to read more about dog food tips, read here: Dog Food Tips and Tricks.

Help! My Dog Ate Grape Jelly (Watch Video)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button