Dogs IssuesDogs Daily Tips

My Dog Licked Some Motor Oil

- - - sponsored links - - -

The purpose of this article is to explain “My Dog Licked Some Motor Oil“.

You’re having a bad day, aren’t you?

Is there a suspicious dark puddle under your car, and just when you think things can’t get worse, your dog comes over and starts drinking from the puddle.

Additionally, you can see dollar bills from a vet’s emergency bill floating before your eyes on top of that car repair bill.

If your dog has just liked some motor oil, how serious is it and what should you do?

- - - sponsored links - - -

My dog licked motor oil, what should I do?

As motor oil is always toxic and can be fatal, you should schedule an appointment with your veterinarian or call the pet poison helpline. 

Is motor oil toxic to dogs?

Dogs are extremely sensitive to motor oil.

Mineral, synthetic, and semi-synthetic motor oils are the three types of motor oil produced by Total.

The different oils contain different additives that are added to improve the performance of the oil when it is used in cars. 

All of these additives are just different chemicals- none of which are healthy for your dog. 

- - - sponsored links - - -

Among these additives are corrosion inhibitors, detergent additives, and most concerningly, antifreeze additives.

A lethal form of antifreeze for dogs is ethylene glycol poisoning and is known as antifreeze poisoning.

Ingesting enough of it can cause a dog to die from kidney failure within 12 hours without treatment. 

The lethal dose for a dog is estimated to be about a tablespoon or two, but this is a rough estimate that does not take into account the size of your dog or any pre-existing conditions. 

Is there anything worse that could happen?

The news isn’t all gloom and doom, however.

Motor oil contains antifreeze, but as a percentage, it is quite small because it contains so many other ingredients.

This is especially true if your dog has only licked a tiny bit of motor oil.

Because of its complete ethylene glycol composition, radiator coolant is the most dangerous.  

Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning

Ethylene glycol poisoning can be classified into three stages

- - - sponsored links - - -
StageOnsetSymptoms 
130 minutes ingestionLethargy | Vomiting | Incoordination
212- 24 hours laterDo dogs seem to improve? Increased heart rate
33 days laterLethargy | Vomiting | Seizures

What I haven’t mentioned is that stage three includes death as the kidneys cease to function completely. 

After exploring the worst-case scenario of ethylene glycol poisoning, I will move on to examine whether there are any differences between unused and used motor oil.

Unused motor oil vs used motor oil

To this point, everything I have said has been in reference to unused or clean motor oil.

What are the differences between unused and used motor oil, and how might this affect your dog?

Even more poisonous is used motor oil that your dog has licked.

Isn’t that incredible?

Motor oil contains most of the additives and poisons described, as well as heavy metals like lead, zinc, and barium. 

In addition, some of these heavy metals might be present in used oil as tiny slivers of metal. 

As they travel through your dog’s body, they could potentially cut the lining of various organs, along with poisoning it. 

Your dog may lick or ingest other types of oil besides motor oil.

- - - sponsored links - - -

In the next section, I will discuss some others and see if they are just as dangerous. 

Motor oil vs lighter fluid vs WD40 vs cooking oil

Let’s first examine lighter fluid.

Lighter fluid

Benzene, naphtha, and propane are among the gases and liquids used in lighter fluids.

They are all made from crude oil, just like motor oil. 

All of these gases and liquids are hydrocarbons, which are poisonous to dogs.

Lighter fluid kind of hints at its poisonous nature with its strong smell. 

However, the strong odor can actually be one of the attractions for a dog. 

There are some people who intentionally inhale lighter fluid fumes in order to get high. 

If dogs are in very confined spaces, they can accidentally inhale too many fumes from the lighter fluid. They won’t deliberately inhale lighter fluid fumes. 

However, eating a “cigarette lighter” may result in them accidentally ingesting lighter fluid. 

Symptoms may include severe pain in the throat and dizziness or comas.

If your dog consumes lighter fluid, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. 

WD40- liquid lubricants

Next, we’ll talk about WD40.

WD40, the famous liquid lubricant, is predominantly composed of hydrocarbons classified as aliphatic or oil-like hydrocarbons. 

Like naphtha, it contains liquids that are very similar to lighter fluids. 

As with lighter fluid, it is hard for a dog to get “easy access” to WD40 since it is stored within a spray can and only comes out in tiny amounts as it is sprayed onto machinery. 

Although it remains poisonous, if you think your dog ingested a significant amount, you should seek medical attention immediately 

Cooking oil

The differences and similarities between cooking oil and lighter fluid and WD-40 are as great as their differences.

Unlike crude oil, which is derived from animals that died millions of years ago, cooking oil is derived from plants, such as sunflowers, which were harvested recently.

It is safer for a dog to ingest cooking oil than lighter fluid or WD40 since it does not contain harsh chemicals (hydrocarbons). 

- - - sponsored links - - -

There are dangers, however.

Because cooking oil comes in much larger bottles than lighter fluid or WD-40, dogs are able to consume much larger quantities of it than those products.

However, a dog can still be poisoned by cooking oil. 

In large amounts, the pancreas of a dog, which plays a key role in digestion, is likely to become overwhelmed. 

How can I stop my dog from licking motor oil?

As with other harmful substances, the best way to prevent anyone or a dog from licking or ingesting motor oil is to ensure that it is kept securely.

Dogs whose owners work on cars or spend a lot of time tinkering with them are at a higher risk than the rest of us.

You can do this by making sure your dog doesn’t get in the way of a car when you are working around it.

Don’t forget to clean up after yourself.

As simple as that sounds, it isn’t. 

Although you have the best intentions, sometimes you will get distracted or not have enough time to do a thorough job. 

Alternatives to motor oil

Motor oil is a necessary part of owning a car because there is no other way to effectively maintain its engine.

That is if you want to keep driving a petrol or diesel car.

Electric vehicles, on the other hand, do not require motor oil to function, so you have no other choice than to switch. 

Because electric cars are still very expensive for most people, it might be best to keep any motor oil out of harm’s way for now.

If you want to read more about dog health tips, read here: Dog Health Tips and Tricks.

My Dog Licked Some Motor Oil (Watch Video)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button