Why My Dog Drank Hot Chocolate?

In this article, you will know the answer to the query “Why My Dog Drank Hot Chocolate?“.

Every year, Americans consume about 2.8 billion pounds of chocolate, and 80% of adults in the U.S. eat chocolate? There’s no doubt that we love chocolate, and its various varieties and forms make it even more enticing. However, our pets should not be allowed to eat chocolate! 

It’s clear to every responsible pet parent that chocolate and cocoa are dangerous to their pets, so we keep dogs and chocolate apart. Although we try to be careful, sometimes things don’t work out as planned. 

Suppose, for example, you bought yourself a delicious and creamy hot chocolate drink from Starbucks, and your dog drank some of it while you were away.

How would you handle such a situation? What should you do if your dog becomes ill? The answers to these questions and more can be found in this article. 

---Sponsored Links---

Why is chocolate so dangerous for dogs?

Due to two chemicals present in chocolate, it is dangerous for dogs. 

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are two substances that upset a dog’s system, especially theobromine which is solely responsible for chocolate toxicity. 

A dog’s system cannot efficiently metabolize theobromine as quickly as a human’s, despite it being a natural stimulant and diuretic. 

Theobromine, which is found in chocolate, is not broken down quickly enough in a dog’s body, and stays there for too long, causing symptoms of chocolate toxicity.

Theobromine is highly toxic to dogs, causing increased heart rate, irritability, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.

---Sponsored Links---

Even though chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine is the compound responsible for the toxic effects of chocolate on dogs, as chocolate contains far fewer caffeine molecules than theobromine, and dogs metabolize caffeine much faster than theobromine. 

What are the main ingredients in hot cocoa?

Hot cocoa is toxic to dogs, as is chocolate. While chocolate and hot cocoa differ in many ways, they have one thing in common: cocoa powder.

Cocoa powder is the basic ingredient in many hot cocoa mixes, such as Nestle Hot Chocolate, Ghirardelli Chocolate, and Swiss Miss Chocolate, so they’re extremely unhealthy for dogs. 

Cocoa is made up of three main ingredients:

Cocoa powder

Cocoa powder contains large amounts of theobromine, as much as 26 mg per gram. Approximately four to twelve hours after consuming chocolate, your dog may start showing signs of chocolate toxicity, and you should seek immediate vet care.

---Sponsored Links---


Dogs can consume a small amount of milk. Whole milk and most dairy products contain high amounts of fat, however, which may cause upset stomachs or pancreatitis. 


If you don’t like sugar in your hot cocoa, you’re not going to like it. Dogs that consume too much sugar can develop serious health problems like obesity, diabetes, etc.

How much cocoa is used in hot chocolate?

There’s no way to know how much cocoa is in hot chocolate (unless it’s homemade), but it’s usually a lot since the cocoa powder is the main ingredient. With a chocolate toxicity calculator, you can estimate the amount of theobromine in it. 

Theobromine content in hot chocolate can be gauged with this tool so that you know what kind of reaction your dog will have to the drink.

Chocolate toxicity calculators will require you to provide some information about your dog, such as what kind of chocolate it ate, how much it ate, and its weight, in order to calculate the amount of theobromine in chocolate. 

---Sponsored Links---

Why is dark chocolate cocoa more dangerous than milk chocolate cocoa?

Theobromine toxicity in chocolate is determined by the amount consumed per kilogram of dog weight. It is possible for dogs to consume chocolate bars or drinks containing a negligible amount of theobromine. This is because theobromine, a component of chocolate, is toxic to dogs in large quantities. 

Chocolates with a higher concentration of theobromine tend to be darker and bitter. Therefore, dark chocolate is more dangerous to dogs because it contains more theobromine than milk chocolate.

Approximately 44-60 mg of theobromine is contained in an ounce of milk chocolate, while 135 mg of theobromine is contained in an ounce of dark chocolate. 

Why does the size of your dog matter?

Chocolate toxicity levels depend on several factors, including the size of the dog, type of chocolate, and the amount that is consumed, as theobromine poisoning is dose-dependent, and the toxic dose is equal to 20 mg per kg of dog weight.

Due to the fact that even a small amount of chocolate can have serious side effects on small dogs, these can be more susceptible to chocolate toxicity. 

The dog may consume 2 oz. of food if it weighs 10 pounds. Milk chocolate will make them sick with symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, but a 50-pound dog will not be affected by the same amount.

Approximately 44-60 mg of theobromine are found in each ounce of milk chocolate, and the dose of theobromine that is toxic is 20 mg per kilogram. 

In spite of the fact that small amounts of chocolate won’t negatively affect a large dog, it’s still important to keep chocolate away from them because their bodies can’t properly digest theobromine, and the substance will accumulate in their bodies.

Another study revealed that continuous exposure to theobromine will ultimately lead to cardiomyopathy, which is a chronic heart condition affecting the heart muscles, causing the heart to have difficulty efficiently pumping blood throughout the body. 

What are the signs of chocolate toxicity?

Following are the symptoms you should expect if your dog consumes large amounts of chocolate;

---Sponsored Links---
  • Weakness
  • Uncomfortable stomach
  • Vomiting 
  • Having diarrhea
  • Saliva dripping from the lips
  • Irritability
  • Standing or walking with difficulty
  • An increase in breathing rate
  • Rhythmic abnormalities of the heart
  • Symptoms of muscle tremors
  • Seizures 

What action should I take?

When you notice that your dog ate chocolate, find out what type and how much they ate. This information will help your vet determine how to proceed.

The chocolate toxicity calculator can also be used to determine the severity of the situation. 

Whenever you suspect that your dog has eaten a significant amount of something that may be harmful, you should immediately contact your veterinarian for emergency treatment.

In the case of poisoning, your vet may induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to safely remove it from your dog.

A doctor may administer IV fluids and other medications as a treatment option in very severe cases.

How quickly might a dog become ill?

Within 4 to 12 hours after your dog eats chocolate, he or she may start to show signs of toxicity, which can last up to 72 hours.

The good news is that dogs can be treated for chocolate toxicity with immediate and appropriate vet care. 

What should I do if my dog drinks chocolate milk?

Since chocolate milk contains ingredients that are not dog-friendly, dogs should never drink it.

There are three ingredients in a chocolate milkshake: milk, ice cream, and chocolate syrup. Chocolate syrup is made up of cocoa powder, sugar, and water.

There is a sufficient amount of chocolate in chocolate milk, and chocolate milkshakes, making them just as dangerous as chocolate itself or hot cocoa.

Along with chocolate, milk is also harmful to dogs, especially in large quantities. It is possible for puppies to drink milk from their mothers because they have enzymes that enable them to digest it, but they are often unable to digest milk from cows or goats.

The consumption of small amounts of milk is not harmful, but consuming large amounts can cause diarrhea or vomiting. Additionally, dogs can be lactose intolerant just like humans, so they will tolerate milk in different ways. 

You should monitor your dog very closely and contact your vet if they drank chocolate milk. Within a few hours after consuming it, some people may experience diarrhea.

This is especially true if they consume a large amount of it. You may have to take your dog to the vet for examination and medical treatment. 

Can dogs get burned by drinking hot drinks?

Hot drinks can burn dogs. The dog’s body can be burned by hot liquids or objects, and his mouth can be scalded if he drinks a very hot beverage.

Scalds and burns can be serious for dogs. There are a number of factors that contribute to the severity of a burn.

These include its type and location, as well as its depth. In order to determine the best course of treatment for burns of any kind, it is important to have the vet examine the wound. 

What is the safest hot drink for a dog?

Dogs are more sensitive to hot drinks than humans, so they shouldn’t drink hot drinks.

Generally, dogs do not like hot drinks, so if you give them a bowl of warm water and one of room temperature water, they will pick the latter.

You should never give your dog anything hot to drink, not even during the winter. Dogs should never drink hot beverages. 

---Sponsored Links---

Why My Dog Drank Hot Chocolate, should I worry?

Is it dangerous for your dog to drink hot chocolate? Chocolate poisoning can be treated fairly easily, but it depends on how much your dog drank and what size dog you have. 

However, you can pass that information on to your veterinarian or use the chocolate poison calculator to determine the expected response, If you’re suitable to determine the quantum of chocolate your canine has eaten.

Be sure to cover your canine nearly during this time and report it to your veterinarian if you notice any signs of chocolate poisoning.

If you want to read more about dog food tips, read here: Dog Food Tips and Tricks.

Why My Dog Drank Hot Chocolate? (Watch Video)

Leave a Comment